HIV Window Period | STD TESTING SINGAPORE™
HIV Window Period | STD TESTING SINGAPORE™ @stdtestingsingapore_com: HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) window period, Singapore. Private & confidential service.
Come to sunny Singapore to have your testing and treatment. Singapore Ministry of Health registered general practice (GP) clinic:
| SHIM CLINIC|
STD TESTING SINGAPORE™
168 Bedok South Avenue 3 #01-473
Tel: (+65) 6446 7446
Fax: (+65) 6449 7446
24hr Answering Tel: (+65) 6333 5550
Web: HIV Window Period | STD TESTING SINGAPORE™
| Opening Hours |
Monday to Friday: 9 am to 3 pm, 7 pm to 11 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 7 pm to 11 pm
Public Holidays: Closed
Last registration: one hour before closing time.
Walk-in clinic. Appointments not required.
Bring NRIC, Work Pass or Passport for registration.
Table of Contents HIV window period is the time from HIV infection until a HIV Test can detect any change. Within the HIV window period, the HIV Test would be negative. During this period, the HIV viral load is extremely high, thus making the person highly infectious.
References HIV is the abbreviation for the human immunodeficiency virus, which causes the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome
- 4 weeks after exposure, a negative 4th generation HIV ELISA Test "is very reassuring / highly likely to exclude HIV infection."
- 12 weeks after exposure, a negative 3rd generation HIV ELISA Test "would definitively exclude HIV infection."
HIV symptoms which may present in acute HIV infection: These are nonspecific symptoms and can present with other infections; consequently, they are unreliable indicators of HIV infection.
Remember, there is no HIV cure.
HIV ELISA (Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test generations:
References HIV rapid test (20 minutes to results) Two types are available:
- 1st generation: HIV-1 IgG antibody
- 2nd generation: HIV-1 & HIV-2 IgG antibodies
- 3rd generation: HIV-1 & HIV-2 IgG & IgM antibodies
- 4th generation: HIV-1 & HIV-2 IgG & IgM antibodies and HIV p24 antigen
Note: If the clinic attendance is only for the HIV rapid test, then consultation fees are not added.
References HIV PCR (polymerase chain reaction) NAT (nucleic acid test) HIV Risk (2009 figures)
Estimated HIV transmission risk per exposure for specific activities and events
|Activity ||Risk-per-exposure |
|Vaginal sex, female-to-male, studies in high-income countries ||0.04% (1:2380) |
|Vaginal sex, male-to-female, studies in high-income countries ||0.08% (1:1234) |
|Vaginal sex, female-to-male, studies in low-income countries ||0.38% (1:263) |
|Vaginal sex, male-to-female, studies in low-income countries ||0.30% (1:333) |
|Vaginal sex, source partner is asymptomatic ||0.07% (1:1428) |
|Vaginal sex, source partner has late-stage disease ||0.55% (1:180) |
|Receptive anal sex amongst gay men, partner unknown status ||0.27% (1:370) |
|Receptive anal sex amongst gay men, partner HIV positive ||0.82% (1:123) |
|Receptive anal sex with condom, gay men, partner unknown status ||0.18% (1:555) |
|Insertive anal sex, gay men, partner unknown status ||0.06% (1:1666) |
|Insertive anal sex with condom, gay men, partner unknown status ||0.04% (1:2500) |
|Receptive fellatio ||Estimates range from 0.00% to 0.04% (1:2500) |
|Mother-to-child, mother takes at least two weeks antiretroviral therapy ||0.8% (1:125) |
|Mother-to-child, mother takes combination therapy, viral load below 50 ||0.1% (1:1000) |
|Injecting drug use ||Estimates range from 0.63% (1:158) to 2.4% (1:41) |
|Needlestick injury, no other risk factors ||0.13% (1:769) |
|Blood transfusion with contaminated blood ||92.5% (9:10) |
Sources: vaginal sex;1 anal sex;2 fellatio;3 2 mother-to-child;4 other activities.5
- Boily MC et al. Heterosexual risk of HIV-1 infection per sexual act: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Lancet Infect Dis 9(2): 118-129, 2009
- Vittinghoff E et al. Per-contact risk of human immunodeficiency virus transmission between male sexual partners. American Journal of Epidemiology 150: 306-311, 1999
- Del Romero J et al. Evaluating the risk of HIV transmission through unprotected orogenital sex. AIDS 16(9): 1296-1297, 2002
- Townsend C et al. Low rates of mother-to-child transmission of HIV following effective pregnancy interventions in the United Kingdom and Ireland, 2000-2006. AIDS 22: 973-981, 2008
- Baggaley RF et al. Risk of HIV-1 transmission for parenteral exposure and blood transfusion. AIDS 20: 805-812, 2006
- HIV & AIDS Information :: How transmission occurs - Estimated risk per exposure
HIV Risk (2005 figures)
Estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV, by exposure route*
*Estimates of risk for transmission from sexual exposures assume no condom use.
|Exposure route||Risk per 10,000|
to an infected source
|Needle-sharing injection-drug use||67||0.67|
|Receptive anal intercourse||50||0.5|
|Percutaneous needle stick||30||0.3|
|Receptive penile-vaginal intercourse||10||0.1|
|Insertive anal intercourse||6.5||0.065|
|Insertive penile-vaginal intercourse||5||0.05|
|Receptive oral intercourse†||1||0.01|
|Insertive oral intercourse†||0.5||0.005|
†Source refers to oral intercourse performed on a man.
HIV risk (2002 figures)
HIV Risk Statistics (chances of getting HIV)
|HIV Risk Factors ||HIV Transmission Probability |
|Needle stick injury3 ||1/300 |
|Receptive anal intercourse4 ||1/100 |
|Receptive vaginal intercourse5 ||1/1000 |
|Insertive vaginal intercourse4 ||1/2000 |
|Insertive anal intercourse4 ||1/2500 |
|Receptive fellatio with ejaculation4 ||1/2500 |
|Sharing needles6 ||1/150 |
HIV prevention / HIV PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) treatment can prevent you from getting an HIV infection, and turning HIV positive.
- Cardo DM, Culver DH, Ciesielski CA, et al. A Case-Control Study of HIV Seroconversion in Health Care Workers after Percutaneous Exposure. N Engl J Med. 1997;337:1485-1490.
- Katz MH, Gerberding JL. Management of occupational and nonoccupational postexposure HIV prophylaxis. Current Inf Dis Reports. 2002;4:543-549.
- Gerberding JL. Prophylaxis for Occupational Exposure to HIV. Ann Intern Med. 1996;6:497-501
- Vitinghoff E, Douglas J, Judon F, et al. Per-Contact Risk of Human Immunodificiency Virus Transmision between Male Sexual Partners. Am J Epidemiol. 1999;150:306-311.
- Peterman TA, Stoneburner RL, Allen JR, et al. Risk of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Transmission From Heterosexual Adults With Transfusion-Associated Infections. JAMA. 1988;259:55-58. [Erratum. JAMA. 1989;262:502]
- Kaplan EH, Heimer R. A Model-Based Estimate of HIV Infectivity via Needle Sharing. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1992;5:1116-1118.
Individuals are eligible for HIV PEP Treatment if all the following criteria are met:
Prompt antiviral therapy may reduce the risk of HIV transmission by as much as 80%.
- less than 72 hours has elapsed since exposure;
- the exposed individual is not known to be HIV infected;
- the person who is the source of exposure is HIV infected or has unknown HIV status;
- mucous membrane or non-intact skin was exposed to a potentially infectious body fluid;
For optimal efficacy, antiretroviral therapy should be started as soon as possible, ideally within 1 hour of exposure. So that you can remain HIV negative.
The medications and dosages are the same as those used for lifelong treatment of HIV patients. However, for HIV PEP treatment, it is taken for only a month.
References Drugs commonly used in HIV PEP: References TORCH
(of HIV/STD/pregnancy), and what you can do before and after exposure.
Exclusive: Payment delays dent India's flagship health, AIDS programs
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 21:08:28 +0100 | Reuters: Health
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India's main public health programs, aimed at millions of rural poor, have been in disarray for months because the government changed the way that over $1.3 billion in federal funds were distributed, according to data and letters seen by Reuters. (Source: Reuters: Health)
Study finds gorilla origins in half of human AIDS virus lineages
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 20:07:20 +0100 | Reuters: Health
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Revealing new details about the origins of AIDS, scientists said on Monday half the lineages of the main type of human immunodeficiency virus, HIV-1, originated in gorillas in Cameroon before infecting people, probably via bushmeat hunting. (Source: Reuters: Health)
Gambia: 'No One Should Be Left Behind in Accessing Treatment'
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:52:35 +0100 | AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs
[The Point]Ms Sirah Ndow, country director UNAIDS, has said universal access calls for comprehensive provision of HIV services, including access to treatment services that are accessible, acceptable, affordable, available, equitable, and sustainable as well as free from any form of stigma or discrimination. (Source: AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs)
Mon Valley Hospital aids cancer patients with co-pays
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:25:57 +0100 | bizjournals.com Health Care:Biotechnology headlines
Dealing with cancer is bad enough without having to worry about the cost of prescription drugs.
Tanzania: Poor Nutrition Fuelling Aids Patients Deaths
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:00:44 +0100 | AllAfrica News: Health and Medicine
[Arusha Times]When people suffering from HIV and Aids succumb to the disease, sometimes it is not due to infections only, if the Arusha situation is anything to by, they could be dying also because of poor nutrition (Source: AllAfrica News: Health and Medicine)
Zimbabwe: Stamps Blames Catholics, SDA for HIV Stigma
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 14:24:10 +0100 | AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs
[New Zimbabwe]HEALTH Advisor to the President and Cabinet Dr Timothy Stamps has blamed the churches for the persistence of HIV related stigma and the country's failure to effectively deal with the pandemic. (Source: AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs)
Nigeria: Police Arrest Teacher for Allegedly Raping, Infecting Victim With HIV
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 10:30:42 +0100 | AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs
[Premium Times]The Adamawa State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of Alhassan Adamu, a teacher at Tappare-Ganye Community Islamic Centre, for allegedly raping and infecting at least one student of the centre with HIV/AIDS. (Source: AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs)
Nigeria: Nigeria's HIV/Aids Situation May Worsen - Naca
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 08:41:24 +0100 | AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs
[Independent (Lagos)]Abuja -Despite the decline in the prevalence rate of HIV/AIDS in Nigeria, the behavioural pattern of Nigerians has not changed as the National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA) has said that illicit sex, among all categories of age groups, is on the rise in the country. (Source: AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs)
Nigeria: Rotary Empowers Widows, Orphans, HIV Positive Persons
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 07:12:42 +0100 | AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs
[Leadership]As part of its family of Rotary International day celebrations, the Rotary Club of Abuja Maitama, marked the day in a grand style, by empowering widows, orphans and HIV positive persons in the Vantaged Teen Centre, Bwari. (Source: AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs)
Nigeria: UNAIDS Hails Nigeria's Signing of HIV Anti-Discrimination Law
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 06:29:30 +0100 | AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs
[Guardian]AHEAD of the World Zero Discrimination Day tomorrow, the Joint United Nations Programme on AIDS (UNAIDS) has expressed full support of the Federal Government of Nigeria for her commitment towards ending stigma and discrimination against people living with and affected by Human Immuno-deficiency Virus (HIV), even as the world body hails President Goodluck Jonathan for signing the HIV/AIDS Anti-Discrimination Law. (Source: AllAfrica News: HIV-Aids and STDs)